Tuesday, September 13, 2011

Growing

A poem I wrote for a creative writing class a little while ago.  This was my favorite summer as a child; the one just before I started kindergarten.  It's a happy odd feeling to look at the first time I got the wind knocked out of me with fondness.  



Growing
Mother taught more than the flowers to grow that summer
Now, walking beside the beaten path, I wish to help them live
Feeling a grin, I remember when I learned that missing the mark 
Leads to a dirty face and futile breaths
I can almost feel the porch railing in my stomach again
It’s funny now
Mother lifted my head and planted my feet
I learned to make things grow that summer
Walking beside the beaten path I see the flowers remember their lessons
They’re still growing



No comments:

Post a Comment

Followers